Central European weather can be protean, hot and muggy one day, cool and rainy the next. One should be prepared for both extremes. However, PSP participants almost always over-pack. Remember that it is possible to wash your clothes either at American-style laundromats or at the hotel (see the Orientation Booklet for details).
We recommend you pack:
- Summer clothes that anticipate cooler weather: shorts, light dresses, and even a swimsuit on the one hand but also long pants, a sweatshirt or sweater, and light coat.
- Walking shoes and a backpack for comfortably moving about town.
- A collapsible umbrella or raincoat (though you may also purchase these in Prague)
- A plug converter for European countries (!) One may find converters in most stores specializing in electronics; they’re available in Prague, but can be difficult to find and are more expensive.
- Your laptop and even your phone, provided you talk to your network about roaming. We recommend using internet-based phones (like Skype) to communicate with family back home.
- A credit or debit card which will allow you to withdraw money from ATMs (make sure to let your bank know you will be traveling abroad!)
- Copies of student work for the first and second workshop sessions. Precise instructions will be disseminated a few weeks before the program begins.
Do not bring cash. ATMs are the best way to acquire Czech crowns. Use an ATM at the Prague airport to acquire cash for the first day.